When it comes to interior painting did you know that about 80% of the time invested will go towards just preparation? Don’t feel bad, the average homeowner doesn’t know this either. Yet after their first DIY paint job they learn this pretty quickly which is what often swears them off from ever doing it themselves again.
It also tends to cause homeowners to give us a call even partway into starting a job. There’s no reason to want to spend your precious little free time trying to paint your home room by room. By the time you get it completed it will be time to sell it anyway.
What Goes Into Prep
So if you are wondering what exactly takes up 80% of the time invested in a proper paint job then here are some things to consider:
- Prep can also include trying to make the right color choice. Picking color swatches and then painting part of the wall or a board to put in the room to see if you can live with the color is step one.
- Once you have your colors picked you have to prep the walls. Sanding, filling minor holes, patching larger ones and then putting primer on it all. You will have to sand down everything to make it smooth and then clean the sanding dust from the surface. After that you have to primer before painting to avoid shiny spots where mends were made.
- And now the really fun part – taping the edging. This is how you avoid getting paint where you don’t want like other walls or the ceiling. If you are doing any tricks like stripes or multicolors on one wall, the taping work gets more intricate.
- Now, you need to remove any furniture or décor that you can. Moving around a cluttered room with a paint tray and can is too difficult a task. And if you assume you can leave it and cover it well enough you will almost always end up with paint splatters on some piece of furniture.
- From there you can cover the rest including all of the flooring. Don’t try to move the drop cloth as you work. Assume you will have some kind of accident and cover the entire floor.
Time to Call the Experts
This should give you an idea of why it takes so long to prep prior to interior painting. At Paintline Painting there is a reason we have earned the title for best in the Albemarle and surrounding areas. Give us a call today so we can make your painting headaches go away.
If you are looking for Interior Painting services in Charlotte NC and surrounding areas then please call 704-819-7493 or complete our online request form.